Building and floating island
Earl Colby Pottinger
2004-06-07 23:12:22 UTC
If one wanted to build a long term floating island in the carribean what are
the largest waves you would have to design for?

Earl Colby Pottinger
--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp
David Wilkinson
Earl Colby Pottinger
2004-06-12 14:10:52 UTC
Post by David Wilkinson
Isn't that where that asteroid landed that wiped out the dinosaurs? That's
some design spec!
Post by Earl Colby Pottinger
If one wanted to build a long term floating island in the carribean what
are the largest waves you would have to design for?
Sorry, I was not asking as a joke, I was asking as a real question. 10
million year waves are not realistic design specs. I tried using google but
could not find useful information on long term floating platform (did find
some on built up islands from the seabead).

Basicly without stating a fixed location in the carribean, what are the worse
size waves I could expect a floating platform to meet over a hundred year
period? (not that I will live that long).

Earl Colby Pottinger
David Wilkinson
2004-06-12 18:52:52 UTC
Hi Earl

Stepping down from asteroid impact to one of the lower levels of disaster,
don't a series of hurricanes go through there every Autumn (every Fall if
you are American)?

Looking up the Beaufort Scale in a little book on Sailing it says:

Force 12 73-82 mph Wind Speed Hurricane

Sea conditions: Waves over 45 feet will damage large
ships and may cause small craft to founder.

Inland conditions: Large trees uprooted. Buildings
damaged or blown down.

Of course that is not the 100 year storm. These hurricanes happen every
year. The 100 year hurricane could be a lot worse. Have you tried the US
weather bureau, if there is one, or the Internet for hurricane force winds?
Earl Colby Pottinger
2004-06-12 20:33:50 UTC
Post by David Wilkinson
Hi Earl
Stepping down from asteroid impact to one of the lower levels of disaster,
don't a series of hurricanes go through there every Autumn (every Fall if
you are American)?
Force 12 73-82 mph Wind Speed Hurricane
Sea conditions: Waves over 45 feet will damage large
ships and may cause small craft to founder.
Inland conditions: Large trees uprooted. Buildings
damaged or blown down.
Of course that is not the 100 year storm. These hurricanes happen every
year. The 100 year hurricane could be a lot worse. Have you tried the US
weather bureau, if there is one, or the Internet for hurricane force winds?
I am in Canada, but yes I will try the US weather bureau. I will post later
what I find or don't find.

Earl Colby Pottinger

PS. This is a personal project that I may or may not try to do based on the
figures I do find. Remember, dumb people want to go to the sea, really dumb
forget to check weather report. Don't forget the SS Minnow. And by the way
are there any small unclaimed islands in the caribbean or one that can be
purchase real cheap, and I do mean cheap.
Bert
2004-06-12 20:35:40 UTC
If at first you don't succeed... Sometimes it helps to try a
different set of terms if google doesn't give you what you want on
your first attempt. It also helps if you spell the name of the sea
correctly -- it's Caribbean, not Carribean.

My first search ("sea state" caribbean) returned this as the third
entry: "Wave Climate Study of the Caribbean Sea"

http://www.oceanweather.com/about/papers/Wave%20Climate%20Study%20of%20the%20Caribbean%20Sea.pdf

When I searched on ("wave height" caribbean "100 year"), this was the
third entry returned: "CDMP: Atlas of Probable Storm Effects in the
Caribbean Sea"

http://www.oas.org/en/cdmp/document/reglstrm/

If these don't provide what you want, I imagine there are other
relevant articles among the other search results (2000+ items for the
first search, 100+ for the second).

Bert
Earl Colby Pottinger
Earl Colby Pottinger
2004-06-13 08:59:20 UTC
Post by Bert
When I searched on ("wave height" caribbean "100 year"), this was the
third entry returned: "CDMP: Atlas of Probable Storm Effects in the
Caribbean Sea"
http://www.oas.org/en/cdmp/document/reglstrm/
If these don't provide what you want, I imagine there are other
relevant articles among the other search results (2000+ items for the
first search, 100+ for the second).
That's right make me look like the fool I really am :)

Thank you alot for the URLs, I will get to reading right away.

Earl Colby Pottinger
Matt/Meribeth Pedersen
2004-06-22 03:48:07 UTC
Also, note their definition of wave height: crest height above
mean surge level. In other words not trough to crest.
Trough to crest would be roughly double the crest to
surge level.

Matt
Earl Colby Pottinger
2004-06-23 03:26:07 UTC
Post by Matt/Meribeth Pedersen
Also, note their definition of wave height: crest height above
mean surge level. In other words not trough to crest.
Trough to crest would be roughly double the crest to
surge level.
Thanks for the tip.

Earl Colby Pottinger