Upstream condition
David Wilkinson
2004-06-14 18:37:29 UTC
In a free surface panel method for yacht hull flows, can anyone recommend a
method of preventing upstream propagation of surface waves other than using
a Dawson-style upwind differencing?

Is there any sort of upstream boundary condition on velocities or
free-surface singularity values that will do the trick?
Bruce Rosen
2004-06-15 03:52:38 UTC
I'm very interested to see the answers to this question as well.
Post by David Wilkinson
In a free surface panel method for yacht hull flows, can anyone recommend a
method of preventing upstream propagation of surface waves other than using
a Dawson-style upwind differencing?
Is there any sort of upstream boundary condition on velocities or
free-surface singularity values that will do the trick?
Bruce Rosen, President E-mail: ***@panix.com
South Bay Simulations, Inc. http://www.panix.com/~brosen
44 Sumpwams Avenue
Babylon, NY 11702 USA Tel/Fax: (631) 587-3770
David Wilkinson
2004-06-15 05:47:18 UTC
Bruce

I was hoping you would tell me the answer!

When I run an optimisation for the hull shape for minimum drag at a given
Froude number I can almost get the wave drag to go negative, and come up
with some unlikely hull shapes. I suspect the optimisation is homing in on
errors in the upwind difference formula rather than on a real optimum. I
would like to change to a central difference formula of higher accuracy and
stop the forward waves by some other method. I can do this with my original
pressure panel method but not yet with source or doublet panels. Probably
not trying hard enough!

David
Bruce Rosen
2004-06-15 10:38:19 UTC
David,

Well, I rely heavily on upwind, Dawson type of approach to ensure
no upstream waves.

I suppose other methods may work. I am not too familiar with
the way others have tackled this. Seems to me they are stuck
with imposing "no waves at upstream infinity" at only a finite
number of points upstream, which opens the door for spurious waves
which can wiggle through those points and the conditions imposed
at them. Thus for a given Froude number they can identify certain
panel spacings that have to be avoided, to eliminate instabilities.

I wonder if anyone else will share their views on this?

Cheers,
Bruce